Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Babies bring out the best in us.

As long as I've known Mike, one of the cardinal rules has been that when he hasn't had enough sleep, he is a "Grumpy Gus," as his grandmother would say. Yes, the sweet, mild, funny man everyone knows turns into a 4-letter-word-spewing Mr. Hyde. So you can see I was scared by the prospect of sharing a small hospital room getting about an hour of sleep every day for 4 days.

The second night was the first time Rohan spent the night in our room with us. I wanted not to wake up Mike unnecessarily, but of course that didn't last long. I was in pain and it was the first night without morphine, and Rohan really hated wearing the hospital hat that he had to wear because he couldn't control his temperature yet.

Mike got up immediately upon Rohan's second round of screaming, and instantly calmed him down by 1. Removing the HATED HAT, 2. holding him on his chest and 3. looking into his eyes.

In the softest, sweetest of tones, even the sleep-deprived Mike spoke to his new son with patience, love and awe --
"All this over just a little hat."

So, actually I have been the more grouchy of the two of us these past few days, but when I'm feeling particularly despairing or impatient, I hear Mike again speaking to Rohan and to me, and we both feel much much better.

1 comment:

sdf said...

So sweet - thanks for sharing. We hope you are getting some rest now that the stream of visitors in the hospital has slowed down a bit! Hello to Rina Mashi!